What IS Faith ?

Really good question ! I was raised an atheist and was taught life and all that happened was solely the result of my own efforts.  Meaning all failure was my fault and all success came from my efforts.  Whew !  This IS the heart of the American culture. Just do it. No fear. Even the New Age-ers state -- well if it happened to you it is because you were thinking it. The ultimate guilt trip. This means I can have no bad thoughts or they will manifest like the devil itself and it will be all my fault. No wonder people commit suicide !

I know for a fact the New Age-ers are wrong, because with the amount of pain and tough issues I have had to process (so far) I should have blow earth up at least 5 times by now.

We DO plan our life, before we get here (see Michael Newton's book Journey of the Souls; or The Education of Oversoul 7). Once we are here, we can decide to abandon the plan. We can follow the plan drunk..... Or we can (gulp) trust we made a good plan with our guides before we got here and were on another dimension (life between lives) when we and our guides and the council had a bigger and better perspective than the perspective we have once incarnated in a body (filled with desires, ego, personality issues etc).

So Faith means 1) Faith in our self to get through the life we set up for ourselves-- with all of the challenges and growth built into it along with the fun parts  2) Faith that something (if not someone) higher, bigger than us exists and that we can connect with that energy to get  different perspectives and different kinds of help (more than just our teeny tiny brain-- as Einstein noted-- we cannot possibly solve problems with the same brain that created them).

What does having Faith look like? For me lots of vomiting and crying at times. It is not a graceful process for me when a large leap of Faith is required. At these times, along with meditation, it is simply one foot in front of the other; sometimes tackling the day minute by minute (beyond the AA one day at a time slogan). It  is walking blind through a fire, feeling the heat, sure I am going to die at any second......and not so happy when I don't!  For smaller issues of Faith, when there is often quicker confirmation via small miracles (are any miracles really small ?!),  my practice of Faith is quite graceful. But no point in writing about those-- they are easy wins. And often my ego kicks in with these as if to say, look how good I am at faith that I can conjure up these miraculous outcomes.  No it is these big no light at the end of the tunnel experiences that leave me puking and covered in mud. At the end there is NO DOUBT in my mind that the miraculous resolution was not of my doing-- other than I did not jump out of the boat or run headfirst into the fire. And that in and of itself is a miracle too.

So Faith is really the ability to be not-graceful. The willingness to be scared sh*tless.  Able and ready to cry and vent so that one does not blow up or get cancer because of holding in all the feelings. Letting the feelings pummel you into a new level of surrender (you did not think was possible) and the softness that comes when we let go of something we didn't even know we were hanging on to.

A warrior's journey. Become like water......not so easy  when we live in a culture that worships hard core.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trauma Bonding in Friendships

Wong Loh (Huang-Lao): The Teacher

The Wounded Vulnerable Narcissist