New Age Dictionary

If you are a passionate committed person in a field that has become commercialized, the commercialization can be so very frustrating. One of the ways I deal with my frustration, is with humor (I grew up in NYC). If you do not have a sense of humor, do NOT read any further. I recently worked a Spirit Faire where no one attended, just a bunch of folks with "gifts" who spent their time talking incessantly about themselves (for hours) telling (the same) amazing stories (over and over again) that proved that they were "meant to" share their "gift" with humanity. Not mentioned was the family money, lawsuit money, alimony, family support, husband support etc. that financed their perceived notions of being "chosen" to do this work.  I thought I was going to lose my mind.

When a service becomes an Industry, there are corruptions. Sad but true. In education (I was a professor for years) teachers can become egomaniac control freaks pontificating to a captive audience. With the spiritual arts,  it is now a billion dollar industry where one can become a yoga teacher online. There are exceptions of course, brilliant committed teachers, truly gifted spiritual teachers and healers who actually do have a personal daily practice. The weekend Spirit Faire I attended (mentioned above) fueled this article. Again, if you do not have a sense of humor, STOP READING NOW.



New age dictionary: A guide to modern jargon of the commercial New Age Industry




·         It was meant to be:  I screwed up and refuse to look at my mistakes or take responsibility.

·         It is what it is:  I did not prepare, I did not plan for anything to go wrong and I refuse to feel responsible

·         You are a Goddess: I can’t stand you or your energy, and/or I am jealous.  I am going to give you a complement so you will feel good and I can feel better about my crappy emotional reaction.

·         It’s a past life thing: I don’t want to look at this issue, or I am a healer/psychic and can’t explain your issue, therefore I am going to make up a story that will entertain us both and justify whatever is going on.

·         It’s karmic: You deserved this bad news or making that bad judgement call. Related to “It’s a past life thing.”  I don’t want to look at it further, or learn from my mistakes. If I am a healer/psychic, I don’t want to have to tell you anything that might make you mad at me, as you may not come back for another session $$.

·         I’m channeling an ArchAngel:  You cannot challenge me or my ideas.

·         I am a Channel: I am not good enough at anything to speak directly; therefore I am calling in Spirits from the Other Side. I will not mention that I have no idea who I am channeling, whether or not it is an advanced soul or some messed up soul on the Other Side. And I have never questioned the Spirit(s) I am channeling as to why they have the karma to continue to interact with the human race at this time.

·         I am an empath: Therefore I am a narcissist because I am so sensitive I have to be the center of attention if you have any emotional reaction or thought , or do anything that upsets me, you will have to spend hours or days or weeks helping me to recover because it is all about Me.

·         My chakras are_______ (fill in the blank): I don’t want to have to deal with any uncomfortable facts such as getting fired from a job, having a problem with alcohol, being broke, fat, lonely, etc.

·         I have a Gift: I don’t want to work for a living. I also don’t want to have to work on my Gift. Just like an Olympic Athlete, I was born with a gift and don’t have to do anything to either develop or maintain my Gift. (Note the sarcasm). Nor do I have to study any Earth Plane skills such as psychology, nutrition, use of herbs and supplements, symptoms of severe emotional distress, etc.

·         I am a Healer: I need to make you feel Good because that makes me feel Good. I do not have the inner resources to feel good on my own. I am addicted to making others feel good as that is my drug of choice to give me a sense of purpose, to soothe my anxieties, and I constantly reach out to heal others who don’t even ask for a healing as my way to be in denial of my own feelings and any “challenges” in my life.

·         I am a Healer (2): I healed myself (cancer survivor etc.) or so I claim. Because I did I now expect others to do the same. By sharing my story (and charging money for it) I can guilt trip others who are suffering (I did it, why can’t you?). My thinking is that everybody is just like me and my one experience should be applicable to everyone else (narcissism, again).

Don't get discouraged. There ARE exceptions, in every field. Journey On.  











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trauma Bonding in Friendships

Wong Loh (Huang-Lao): The Teacher

The Wounded Vulnerable Narcissist