Notes about Learning

About Learning:

In all the classes we can help each other, sharing what we are learning. That is different than sharing what you already know. It is important to remember that sharing advice or "answers" with each other can shut others down (especially shy people, or non verbal learners) and "answers" or "teachings" by other members can be contradictory to what is presented in the sessions. We might compare it to a cancer support group (just because cancer is so transformative and life changing-- as is spirituality) run by a doctor. The doctor has information about all the participants, as well as being a subject matter expert. Participants' shares are very helpful and they are not on the same level as doctor information-- participants do not have the experience or expertise of the doctor. That is why someone is leading the group.

This space was created for sharing experiences that happen in classes or sessions, outside of the class environment. Giving advice during class time has some ups and downs. The advice given can be contradictory to what the "doctor" presents therefore can confuse participants. And there is no polite way to address that in class. Plus people can be a bit attached to being the "advice" giver as it makes them (the ego actually) feel better or safer.
A good practice is to be a Student when in a class. Let the information sink in. Share only what you are Learning (which is the job of any student-- to learn) not what you think you already know. Allow what you are learning to sink in for a day or two before you start to share "advice" or what you think might be answers. "I don't know" and "I'm listening" and "I am going to let that sink in before I respond or talk" are good practices to use when you commit to studying with someone, especially if you tend to be a talker. Asking questions is a good practice if you tend to a be non-verbal learner or shy. After it sinks in, morphs, changes you, or insights emerge, this group is a great place to share with each other.... or call text, email each other.

If you think you know more than the "doctor", re-consider why you are in a class or group with that particular person. Not every Teacher is for every one. Choose carefully, then respect the process. If a process goes south for you, leave. Life will teach us no matter what. Choosing a Teacher, having a Teacher available to choose, to me that is a huge bonus. I find them few and far between.
I personally much prefer to be the student. It is a safe place of relaxation for me where I know the person I have trusted with my Learning will take me beyond my boundaries to a place I could or would never travel by myself. Safe does not necessarily mean comfortable. Being in love is like this. Spiritual expansions are like this. So is traditional psychotherapy.

I like being safe with a Teacher -- who else will take me through the uncomfortable times when I am stretching my limits, expanding. Who else will be there when I emerge from the cocoon no longer a caterpillar? I love being able to sink into the Yin energy of Learning, not having to "know," or answer, or help, or teach. I can become a receptive being-- melt into the soup a caterpillar becomes before emerging to a completely different way of being.

I invite you to relish and roll around in the role of Student..... at least while in a session.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trauma Bonding in Friendships

Wong Loh (Huang-Lao): The Teacher

The Wounded Vulnerable Narcissist